Washington residents were evacuated from their homes in the 100 block of North 15th Avenue Monday, Feb. 4, when a gas line was inadvertently cut during a repair.
Mike Wagner, a representative for Alliant Energy, explained that around 11 a.m., crews were called to a scene where a gas service line had been accidentally cut during a water line repair. He explained the gas leaked underground into the sewer system and the basement of a home on the same block.
Residents were then evacuated while the gas was shut off and repairs began. Electricity in the area was also turned off as crews repaired the leak and vented the gas from the sewer system.
As of 1:30 p.m., crews were still working on the repair but were expected to be done later that afternoon.
Responding were the Washington Fire Department, Washington Police Department and Alliant Energy.